Sunday, April 21, 2013

Thane of Washington D.C.

Ribs! Ribs! My kingdom for some ribs!
While working on my crowning speech-collecting achievement, I have realized something that I never would have unless I had endeavored to recite Shakespeare everyday: I... love... Richard III. That most splendidly devious and tragically ambitious figure in all of Shakespeare has come heart-wrenchingly close to surpassing young Hamlet as my long-time favorite. Ever since I learned his "Now's the winter of our discontent" soliloquy, I've been happily haunted by how much fun it is to channel him through his words. It's no wonder so many actors have relished this role throughout history.

Enter Netflix's House of Cards.

Some very good friends of mine love it, and one pointed out that some reviewer compared the main character to Richard III. The articles I found revealed that House of Cards is essentially the story of a modern-day Richard III set in Washington D.C. with a little Macbeth thrown in for even more spice. How could I resist?

Kevin Spacey (who has been playing Richard on stage for the past few years) plays Francis Underwood--an outwardly charming southern gentleman of a politician who is inwardly as clever and manipulating as is humanly possible. His wife Claire (a perfectly cast Robin Wright) runs a non-profit organization in town. Together, they strike me as two predatory animals born from and perfectly adapted to the slime of the Washington cesspool in which they swim.  

The first time I watched, it appeared to me as if the Macbeths had read Richard III's playbook, had seen counseling, been reincarnated, and came out of the experience ready to take on American politics. At first, they appear to be a cynical, scheming team. But the more you watch, you begin to realize that they don't actually have pure evil in their hearts; they're just REALLY good at politics. The use of the Shakespearean aside by Spacey's character is superb, and serves to endear his outwardly stoic character to the audience. On a personal note, Frank's penchant for a lunch of barbeque ribs brought him even closer to my heart. As a GRITS (Girl Raised In The South) who has her own favorite little mom-and-pop dive that specializes in heavenly pork dishes, I can certainly empathize. 

House of Cards is wonderfully written, engaging, and feels realistic, especially if you're the type who watches Jon Stewart on a  regular basis (like myself). It serves as yet another example of how Shakespeare continuously influences art and pop culture every day. Give it a go. 

2 comments:

  1. Only just started watching this and have to agree- the Macbeths with some R3--though there's a lovely bit of "honest" Iago in there too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. YES! I noticed that as well ;) It's got a bit of all the good stuff!

    ReplyDelete