Sunday, April 14, 2013

Cure for boring Shakespeare

There's no such thing as boring Shakespeare... unless you count Henry VIII ;)

If you're not already listening to this podcast, I pity thee. Especially now, since Ehren Ziegler has 100 fantastic episodes under his belt--wherein he breaks down the plays line by line, unpacking more meaning and context than you might never have thought possible. It's like a Shakespeare TARDIS. 

He recently commemorated his 100th with a very special show full of listener appreciation and fascinating theatre history. Also, he happens to give Trippingly on the Tongue his seal of approval. *wink wink*

Just thought I'd give a hearty HUZZAH shout-out to Ehren for his epic accomplishment and to wish him all the best to continue with the Chop Bard podcast and its awesomeness. I'm proud to be part of the Shakespeare blogging community :) 


2 comments:

  1. Seems only appropaite then to send my own words of amazement, admiration, and awe (and encouragement as well, even though it spoils the accidental alliteration of my applause) at this challenge you've set yourself on this blog, since it was from Ehren that I learned of it.

    I look forward to following your journey through memorizing these speeches. Inspirational to a fellow "Suzy Q, non-theatre/non-lit scholar" Shakespeare nerd.(You've certainly inspired me to finally finish memorizing the To be speech, and perhaps memorize a few other favorites-though your one a week feels quite the daunting task. How about one a month instead?)

    Anyway, congratulations on the acheivement and I look forward to seeing the next speeches you tackle!

    May the Bard be with you,
    Jackie R

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your good wishes! I bow to you and all your very insightful contributions to Chop Bard :)

    I've found that as I practice more, it's easier to memorize something more quickly, and then retention is all about rote practice. At first, it was definitely a struggle to do one a week, but I was extremely determined to push myself. So now that I'm actually up to the last speech to make the one-per-play goal (check out all my many past posts!), I will slack off a bit now and do something closer to once or twice a month. I am also practicing each of my old speeches to keep them fresh in my mind. I will continue the blog, however, as there is always more to learn.

    Thanks for joining me and I hope to hear more from you on the podcast ;)

    ReplyDelete