Saturday, November 24, 2012

Be not afeard

Sir Kenneth at the 2012 London Olympics Shakespeare recitation competition
I have something in the neighborhood of complete indifference when it comes to the Olympics, which can be pushed to vexation when it begins to get discussed in my presence. Just about the ONLY way I was going to willingly watch any Olympics was if some fake boyfriend of mine was involved.

Enter Sir Ken, stage Bag End.

Representing the steampunk ringleader of the opening ceremonies, he earnestly belted out a short speech from The Tempest for all the world to see and hear. Because that's what you do with Sir Ken if you have him at your disposal.

Sure, the flowery words felt like they applied to the English Isle--filled with wonders and dreams. Never mind it was originally put in the mouth of the wild cannibal Caliban, discussing the haunted island he inhabited, where life is so hard and the dreams so enchanting that he'd rather sleep all day if he had his druthers. Not exactly encompassing the usual British work ethic of "Keep Calm and Carry On," but hey, it's a crowd-pleaser.

It was inspiring enough for me to decide then and there that my mid-year resolution would be to use that speech as the first in what would be a long list of my favorites.


The Tempest, Act III, Sc. II
Caliban: Be not afeard, the isle is full of noises,
Sounds, and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
Sometimes a thousand tangling instruments
Will hum about mine ears; and sometime voices,
That if I then had waked after long sleep,
Will make me sleep again, and then in dreaming,
The clouds methought would open, and show riches
Ready to drop upon me, that when I waked
I cried to dream again.

No comments:

Post a Comment