Saturday, August 17, 2013

Doth it not show vilely in me to desire small beer?

"Belike then my appetite was not princely got, for, by my
troth, I do now remember the poor creature small beer."

Shakespeare and beer are two of my most pleasurable passions. And as Hamlet says, "Oh, ’tis most sweet, When in one line two crafts directly meet." Fortunately for me, the Bard was steeped in the everyday activities and traditions of merry old England, and pub potables was one of the most prominent subjects in many of his plays. As I've come to know from deep research (i.e. personal experience in pubs), imbibing remains an essential and obligatory part of British life. Here in America, beer has enjoyed a renaissance in the last decade. Craft brews are the bee's knees, and I'm just thankful that Florida is proving a haven for such fermented artistry. 

In Shakespeare's day, ale and wine were the few beverages that were safe to consume, and it's safe to say that it wasn't as tasty as that nice IPA or hefeweizen available at an ABC Liquors. Prince Hal's "small beer" was likely a watery ale of low alcohol percentage, just enough to kill the bugs that would be in well water. It was generally made with the second or third runnings of a stronger beer's mash, such as that of a barleywine (oh boy, now THAT stuff will put hair on your chest). 


Now Falstaff's poison of choice was "sack," which is cousin to the small beer in the quality department. The sack he had access to was low-grade wine that was relatively infection-free, but tasted questionable enough that one would need to add flavor enhancements. Sir John famously says in 1 Henry IV, "If sack and sugar be a fault, God help the wicked." Sack was a fortified wine, like a sherry, and was already very sweet, so imagine how indulgent sack and sugar must've been. In The Merry Wives Of Windsor, Falstaff demands, "Go fetch me a quart of sack; put a toast in't." This request hints at the origin of "toasting" with wine: the Romans would add to their pitchers some burnt toast, whose charcoal would reduce the acidity and unpalatable flavours of slightly off vino they were used to drinking. 

Now I'm craving something far more tasty and refined to pour into my pint glasses I recently picked up at the Guinness brewery, so I'll let you go with these classic quotations. SLÁINTE/CHEERS!


“Come, come; good wine is a good familiar creature, if it be well us’d…”
Iago, “Othello,” Act II, Sc. III

“Would I were in an alehouse in London, I would give all my fame for a pot of ale and safety.”
Boy, “King Henry V,” Act III, Sc. II


“We’ll teach you to drink deep, ere you depart.”
Hamlet, “Hamlet,” Act I, Sc.II


“Come, thou monarch of the wine,
Plumpy Bacchus with pink eyne!
In thy fats our cares be drow’d,
With thy grapes our hairs be crown’d!
Cup us till the world go round,
Cup us till the world go round!”
Enobarbus, “Antony & Cleopatra,” Act II, Sc. VII


“Doth it not show vilely in me to desire small beer?”
Prince Hal, “King Henry IV, part Two,” Act II, Sc. II


“… and drink, sir, is a great provoker of three things… 
nose-painting, sleep, and urine.
Lechery, sir, it provokes, and unprovokes; it provokes 
the desire, but it takes away the performance." 
Porter, “Macbeth,” Act II, Sc. III


“With wine and feeding, we have suppler souls
Than our priest-like fasts…”
Menenius, “Coriolanus,” Act V, Sc. I


“For a quart of ale is a dish for a king.”
Autolycus, “The Winter’s Tale,” Act IV, Sc. III


“Drink a good hearty draught, it breeds good blood, man.”
Arcite, “The Two Noble Kinsmen,” Act III, Sc. III


No comments:

Post a Comment