Wednesday, March 13, 2013

But if you mouth it: Notes on pronunciation

Forsooth.
I'm frequently entertained by tumblr. Sometimes, the posts surprise me with how insightful and clever they can be, and they always prove that Facebook and Pinterest will always be inferior due to their lack of GIFs. But there's one that shows up every so often regarding British accents. It claimed that Americans never stopped having a "British" accent, and that the current accent we regard as "British" is some over-poshified version of English developed over the centuries and that Shakespeare sounds "better" in an American (read: original British) accent.

Hold your diphthongs, there, glossophile. If American is the closest to Shakespeare's tongue, then why don't many of the rhymes in his sonnets work? Granted, even with a received pronunciation (RP) English accent, not all the rhymes work either, but this just proves there's 400 years of complex sociolinguistic history involved.

I recently came upon this short NPR story about Shakespeare's Accent. It features examples from the British Library's sound recording collection of Shakespeare's most famous scenes, as read by actors and actresses using an accent that is as close to the original as feasibly possible (90-95% accuracy). It results in a phonemic Rorschach test. It will sound familiar to almost any English speaker who hears it. It's not strictly any specific accent you'll ever hear, but if you have a sensitive ear, you'll recognize that it contains flecks of several regional British accents that contributed to what we think of as American (or even Australian) today.

I always challenge myself to guess where British actors come from just by listening to them. Then I check the IMDb and see how close I came. I once guessed that Richard Armitage came from somewhere close to Sheffield (South Yorkshire), because his vocals reminded me of Sean Bean. Richard's from Leicester after all, but I like to think that guessing within a two-county radius isn't bad for a non-native, non-linguistics graduate.

The truth is, Shakespeare sounds mellifluous, full stop. It's challenging to practice recitations in different accents. It serves to color the speech and give it a different emphasis. I'm no actress, but I have friends who are. (We've all had a go at pretending to be foreigners while we visit Disney parks as we were growing up. Orlando is the most anonymous place in Florida, where people come from all over the world, and fakers aren't likely to be given a second glance.)

If you're of the accent-loving clan, I recommend trying it yourself. Recite Hamlet in Scottish, or MacBeth in Irish. Or try Iago as a Southern belle. I dare you not to have fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment